STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Tipping Point...?

I was recently asked by a friend if I could look over a short story that he wrote and submitted. The story had not been selected and he wanted some general feedback as to why since a lot of places don't bother to tell you. (Understandable, but still frustrating.)

I was honored to be asked as reading someone's work is a pretty big thing and should not be taken lightly.

I enjoyed his story for the most part but I was distracted by spelling errors, word usage errors, and some big grammar no-nos. I told him that I felt that his story read more like a draft instead of something all polished up and ready for a submissions committee. He told me he had actually had an editor look over it.

I told him he needed to demand his money back.

And it got me thinking, again, about perhaps throwing my hat into the ring in terms of editing. I am not an expert... my degree in English was obtained almost 10 years ago (OMG..... a rant for another day), but I could have easily helped this writer know which version of "its/it's" "lets/let's", and "past/passed" to use! I am fairly certain that had his story been the next Great American Short Story... it would not have been published because I doubt that the submission reader kept reading too far past those errors. 

Which is a damn shame as the story was pretty good. 

I'm mulling it over.

Stay tuned. 

No comments: