STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)


Also, don't forget to visit Kaylia's Official Website where you can get information about Kaylia's upcoming events, and learn more about her free lance writing and other publications.

Today is the solstice.

Today is the solstice.
The longest day of the year
The day with the most sun.
Four years ago I was attacked in my apartment,
Beaten, Raped.
It is still hard to think about.
Harder still to talk about.
And yet.
There was a moment.
A defining sort of moment.
Where nothing was ever the same again.
Not the moment when the bottle hit my face.
Not the moment when I realized I was trapped.
Not the moment that I lost consciousness briefly.
Not the moment I woke up and realized again what was happening.
No.
It was the moment after he left.
The door slamming behind him.
When I began to untangle myself, test my muscles, try to move.
Sticky. Slick.
The sunlight on the linoleum.
Outside the window, cars driving.
I waited.
I thought, this is it.
If I start screaming, I might not stop.
I could give in, give in to the hysterics.
Close my eyes and pitch forward.
It was tempting.
I waited.
I realized I had a choice.
This moment didn’t have to define me.
I couldn’t let myself slip away. He would have won.
It took forever to crawl out of the bathroom.
To find my glasses, my phone.
To call for help.
Later, I answered questions,
Not all of them.
They took pictures. I took tests.
I kept thinking back
To the moment of choice.
After the fact.
When I decided I was stronger
Stronger than the pain
The shame
The fear.
The moment when I got up.

No comments: