STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Drunk But Not Stupid

Last Tuesday, I joined several new acquaintances and we had a rip roaring awesome time drinking wine, listening to poetry, talking about social change and being silly.

And then, I called a cab to come take me home.

Yes, I was drunk. But.

In the cab the driver asked me the nearest cross streets to where I wanted to go. Then he asked me what route he should take.

Yes, I was drunk. But.

But anyone besides me think that asking the drunk girl to give directions might not make the most sense?
He told me that he didn’t want to be accused to taking the long way, thus he wanted me to tell him which way to go.

Yes, I was drunk. But

But I had a GPS and so I told him the way that google recommended. Off we went.
He asked me about the party. 
He asked me about who I met while there. 
He asked me just how drunk I was feeling.

Yes, I was drunk. But.

But I didn’t feel like giving this guy a play by play of my night. I was sober enough to be aware of my situation. I reminded him to change lanes in order to get where we were going.

As we were getting closer to my street he told me that he often gave special discounts to drunk girls. 

Apparently, dunk girls are usually pretty happy to accept his offer of a discount and to work with him in order to work out a better alternative to paying full fare.

Yes, I was drunk. But.

But I wasn’t that drunk. Or that desperate to save myself some money.

I told him (loudly) to pull the damn cab over right that damn minute and I got out.
He told me it was going to cost me about thirty bucks.

Yes, I was drunk. But.

But I could still read the meter.

I called a girlfriend to keep me company on the phone while I walked the last three or so blocks in the dark.

Yes, I was drunk. But

But I wasn’t stupid.

No comments: