STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)


Also, don't forget to visit Kaylia's Official Website where you can get information about Kaylia's upcoming events, and learn more about her free lance writing and other publications.

Soul Roots

It turns out gardening is good for my writing and for my soul.

I turn my itunes up, Rolling Stones, ABBA, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and move dirt around. In my head I am thinking, creating, imagining people, places, things. I am purposely NOT thinking about other thins, real life things, hopes and dreams, and possible regret type things.

Plus,  sometimes it is hard to think while actually writing. Sometimes it is hard to write with Facebook and an email account always there.

But why gardening? Why this sudden fascination with plants? I don’t have a green thumb, I have whatever the opposite is. And yet…

Actually I know exactly why I am suddenly looking up the difference between perennials and annuals on Wikipedia, walking to the hardware store to buy a shovel, snapping photos of plants and flowers in other people’s yards.

My mother.

Okay, let me explain.

First, there was a sunny day. I am not working right now, and the apartment, though big, can sometimes feel a bit stifling. But where to go? I don’t have much money, I don’t really like wandering the city alone (especially since I don’t know anyone local quite yet and the Maifan-San is out of town). Plus, the weather has been cold.

And then there was the sunny day and I found myself on the back patio sitting in the sunshine and thinking “Nifty!”

The patio is good sized but ringed in dirt. A bit uninspiring, to say the least. I thought, “I wonder how much work it would take to make it pretty back here.”

Like many thoughts, this one came… and then went.

The next day, another rather nice sunny day, I called my folks. In passing my mother mentioned that they are looking to relocate (something I vaguely sort of knew)… relocate within the next few years (okay… that is a bit faster than I had thought..) … relocate in the next few years to a place far far away, somewhere like Idaho potentially.

Whoa!

Again, I know my folks want to move away from where they are currently living. With my youngest sister in her sophomore year of college it isn’t surprising that they are now thinking “next few years” instead of “at some point down the line.”

And… yeah, Idaho has been on the table before. As has Colorado. So, again not shocking.

But for some reason it hit me. 

Life is moving on, things are changing. People are getting older. I have a dear friend who recently los her father. The Maifan-San’s grandmother died last month. Several friends are getting married. Many more are having babies. And now, now my folks are planning their retirement.

It makes a sort of sense then that I am literally suddenly very passionate about putting down roots even if they are the short flower type that will need to be replaced in a few years. 

Right?

Yeah, I thought so.

No comments: