STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)


Also, don't forget to visit Kaylia's Official Website where you can get information about Kaylia's upcoming events, and learn more about her free lance writing and other publications.

Job Yo Yo



I am currently unemployed and looking for a job in the 17% unemployment rated city of Fresno. My skills are mostly in Admin work with a sprinkle of marketing, outreach, finance, etc.

First off… there are a LOT of spams out there preying on the unemployed. Which is annoying.
Also… did you know they advertise for foster parents on Craig’s List? How… icky is that? I mean, I know Craig’s List isn’t as sleazy as it used to be, but still!

 Okay, anyway. I am registered with a temp agency. They seem nice, willing to hep, optimistic about my chances, etc.

Tuesday (afternoon) they call to tell me that there is a possible job across town. (Commute about an hour and a half each way). Am I interested in interviewing on Wednesday?  Sure! I ask about compensation. $10 an hour. Whoa!

(tire screeching noises here)

I talk it over with Matthew. This would be a full time job, a full time admin job at a non profit…. But… across town and for only $10 an hour. Despite my misgivings, I accept the interview. I figure that if the fit is good, the money might not matter as much. I go with an open mind. I even get my nails done (for me this is how I show I am taking it seriously, by presenting my very best polished self).

The area of town that this office is in is not the best part of town. Also, not the safest for pedestrians. Part of my walk from the bus is through parking lots, part is on streets with no bike lanes, no sidewalks, and no streetlights. Also, no crosswalks. I have to jaywalk three times to get to the office. Red flags, but still… open mind, need a job, etc.

The interview goes well, I am pretty sure I have it in the bag. I ask about compensation… will it go up after the temp period? Nope. Well okay, but what about benefits? Surely there are benefits, right? Nope… no medical insurance or sick leave or anything.

Hmmm. Matthew and I look over our finances again. We decide… yeah, we could take a $10 an hour job if it had benefits… if the job has no benefits, then I need at least $12 in order to offset the cost of buying my own insurance.

First thing Thursday morning, I talk to the temp agency staff. Yes, the job is mine if I want it. I tell her my concerns and my need for either more money or medical benefits. So, I will have to pass the job up in its current state. The counter offer: $12 an hour. I take deep breaths and think about the long commute, the safety concerns. I agree to extend the counter offer.

(Part of me thinks that after the temp period of 30 days I can revaluate, maybe it isn’t as unsafe as I remember, maybe I won’t care because the job will be so good!)

They accept my counter offer! They want me to come in today and start right away! Hooray! I am employed! I make plans to set up direct deposit! I start laying out clothes on the bed and checking the bus schedule…

But Wait! (more screeching tire sounds)

Apparently, the choice to accept my counter offer was made premature. So… they take back their acceptance and counter again. Back to $10 an hour with the idea that after 60 days going up to $12.

I politely refuse.

In the next 60 days I hope to find a job that has both a higher wage and medical benefits. A job that doesn’t come with strings like unsafe walking conditions.

I hope I made the right decision. Honestly my nerves are a bit frayed and I am wishing I had cookies within reach.

Let the job search yo yo magic continue!

No comments: