STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy! If you are looking for Kaylia's official Website please visit KayliaMetcalfeWriter



Getting Shot



I recently got a flu shot. Not any old flu shot… my very first Flu Shot Ever.

I know there are people on both sides of this one, so I thought I would tell you why I got a flu shot this year.

Baby Noelia, born Thanksgiving! 

Isn’t she cute? Well, okay.. isn’t she tiny and vulnerable and innocent? Doesn’t she deserve to be as protected as possible?

I had considered getting the shot in the past… but I had some reservations.  Here are some of the more common reason people give to not get the shot (some of which I used to give myself) and my newly enlightened responses.

1.       Aren’t there a limited number of shots available? While this used to be the case, it isn’t anymore.  There aren’t shortages of flu shots… just shortages of people getting ‘em.

2.       It might hurt! It is expense! Not the most altruistic reason, but still… You know what? It DIDN’T hurt! It cost me $30 without insurance. It was quick and easy.

3.       I have never had the flu. Yeah… but that doesn’t mean you can’t get it, it just means you have been lucky. Remember, the flu virus changes every year.. so your body is fighting off a New and Different version than last year.

4.       I know this one gal who got the shot and then she got sick. Yeah. Sure. It happens.  Getting sick is part of life. She would have gotten sick anyway, at least from that strain. Thankfully, now she will be able to avoid getting the strain of the flu that she got the vaccination for. That's how vaccinations work.  Also, see my next point.

5.       The risks are too high….  Nope. At least not for me. See the more healthy people in a society, the healthier the society as well as the very real fact that you can Carry The Virus, Not Get Sick, and Still Pass It On To Others. So, even if you never get all the way sick, you can infect others…. And in the words of my friend John (paraphrased a bit) “I’ll see your slight chance of getting sick and raise you the fact that you will make dozens or more other people sick… some of whom are kids and the elderly and people without insurance or who can’t afford to stay home from work and will thus spread it even more….” (A very loose quote that, Forgive me John). And let's not forget that a lot of "risks" aren't really there, but they do add nice flavor to slow news days.

So. Since I have a new baby niece who I hope to spend time with. Since I have altruism. Since I have the desire to live in a community of people who put the needs of others at least on the same level as their own….

I got the flu shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at perhapswelearn.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Thomas