STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

On 2nd Thought….

I was invited the other day to join a group on Facebook. Shocker right? Well this group is less of a group and more of a petition. (Again, not a big shock, if you have a FB account you get invited to all sorts of things… but cut me a break, I needed an intro.)

This particular petition? Petition to remove facebook group praying for President Obama's death.

Hmmm.

I was curious, are there such groups out there? Well, yes.. there is this group : DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN

Strange, yes.

Disgusting? Indeed.

I must admit, my gut led the way and I clicked on the petition.

Then… my brain caught up with my gut.

Should Facebook remove this page/group?

Actually, I don’t think so. It is gross and horrible… but it is also not against the policies of FB and it should be protected by Freedom of Speech, right?

Hate speak? Well, no, not really.

Call to direct violence? It really depends on how you define God.

It could be considered a plea for direct violence if one believed that God actually a) exists and b) does what people pray for or sign a FB petition for… both premises are highly doubtful.

With that in mind, the group has as much plea for direct violence as a group asking The Teapot in the Sky to strike down all coffee drinkers or the group asking Santa Clause to kill all Pagans.

The maxim of “I detest what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it” comes into play here.

Part of living in a Free Society means putting up with twits like the people in that group.

Annoying. But true.

2 comments:

bbphrogger said...

I couldn't agree more. The best we can hope for is that people pray for bad things rather than doing bad things themselves. No matter how misguided people may be, they have a right to their thoughts, and to express those thoughts in speech and writing. I have a right to counter-argue, and we both have the right to ignore each other. For now anyway >_<

Anthroslug said...

Absolutely right. Besides, the way that the thing is written, it's clearly tongue-in-cheek.