STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy! If you are looking for Kaylia's official Website please visit KayliaMetcalfeWriter



Sometimes....

I recently changed jobs. My new role is within an organization that is vastly different than my former employer. Instead of working in the world of finance and HR, I now work in the world of Non Profit and Volunteering.

From LSI (internal device and data storage) I now work for Big Brothers Big Sisters (after school programs and one on one mentoring).

It is quite a switch.

I really love my new job. BBBS does mentoring programs for kids. We match a Big with a Little to provide a positive role model. It is a lot of fun and I am learning a lot. One of the things I like most about this job is knowing that I am having a positive impact on the children and youth of my newly adopted county.

I have gotten to play with little kids, help out at a Halloween party, interact with medium aged children, and really see the difference that our organization can make.

There was a moment recently….

On the intake forms they ask the children a series of questions. Fill in the blank sorts of things like “When I am sad I….” and “My favorite thing to do on the weekends is….”

The last question on the list is “Sometimes people are…”

The number one response, the response that overshadows all others, is heart wrenching.

“Sometimes people are… mean.”

I am so glad that I am part of the solution for these kids. Because sometimes, sometimes it is paramount to strive to make a difference.

Sometimes people are worth it.



(This post wasn’t a pitch for donations… but if you are interested in learning more about what BBBS does, let me know.)

3 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Kay, congrats on your new wonderful, marvelous job! I just know you'll be such a good "Big Sister" to those kids. And of course you will be so kind, very, very kind... :)

Unknown Mami said...

Fantastic! What a wonderful way to make a difference and get paid! I wish all jobs had such a positive impact on children and the community.

JayRod said...

Woot! Gratz on the new job! Glad that it is something you are more interested in and feel like you are doing something good for the world. Now, to work on that global warming thing . . .