STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy! If you are looking for Kaylia's official Website please visit KayliaMetcalfeWriter



In Defense of Baby Dolls and Boobs

Wow… say something negative remotely connected with boobs and the masses revolt.

For the record: I am a fan of breastfeeding.
I am a fan of breasts.
I am a fan of kids being treated as kids and not mini adults.
I am a fan of age appropriate toys.


I am not a fan of breastfeeding dolls… I personally see them as yet another example of us pushing little girls into rigid gender stratification and the whole “mommy cult.” (seriously… let them be little girls for as long as possible… ever think that problems like teen age pregnancy and widespread STDs might be in some way connected with this whole idea of thirteen year old dressing like hoochi 20-somethings and trying to act adult and mature?)


And just to keep this post from being all me me me… here is some fun science.

A new study apparently finds that kids who were breastfed showed signs of being smarter.





Ok, let’s take a look at that science.

First, and you have heard me complain about this befoe: the sample size… in this case, pretty decent. No complaints there.

Next: the experiment itself…. “Half the mothers were exposed to an intervention that encouraged prolonged and exclusive breastfeeding.”

The other half, weren’t.

So… we don’t know for sure if they breastfed more or longer or anything… just that they were exposed to the idea that breastfeeding would be, what, better? Healthier? Did they tell the mommies that breastfeeding their kids would make them smarter? Anyone think that the parent’s idea of the smartness of their spawn might relate in some way to the actual smartness? (Meaning encouragement and opportunity.)

Hmmm, moving on.

"The children’s cognitive ability was assessed by IQ tests administered by the children’s pediatricians and by their teachers’ ratings of their academic performance in reading, writing, mathematics and other subjects. Both sets of measures were significantly higher in the group randomized to the breastfeeding promotion intervention."


That sounds great… I wonder how significant the difference was though… and I wonder if IQ is really that good of an indicator of, well, anything.

But it is promising, yes?

Am I out of the “Anti Boobies and Mommies” Doghouse yet?


Oh.. and one last thing,

Here is a Baby Doll I fully support… just not for little girls.


7 comments:

Pagan Sphinx said...

I don't think it's about boobs and babydolls. I'm way beyond that, myself. It's an emotionally charged topic. A very personal one. I don't think it's so much revolt, as reaction. That's good! I think so, anyway.

socialworkeratheart said...

As a mom who BF kid #1, bottle fed kid #2, and still BF #3 (who I hope will be done with me by the time he is 2), I have seen and heard it all. I wonder how flawed that study is, demographics and socioeconomics of the mother, if there was a father figure present (says something about stress level at home), not to mention what kids were already exposed to (ie, older siblings, preschool, higer educacted parents). I agree that the controversy of this doll goes beyond dolls, goes to expectations of women and what they think they should be capable of doing. More on the supposed perfect balance of family and career, which in reality is more like a wretched juggling act hoping something doesn't fall through the cracks.

myrelish said...

When you have kids, you do what works. For me, that doll just doesn't work it is just freaky crazy!

Dawn on MDI said...

urk. squishy science is so bad karma!

Anthroslug said...

I have to agree with PaganSphinx in that what you saw in the other thread was a reaction to an emotionally charged topic. I disagree with her about that being good - it seemed that most of the people who were reacting negatively to what Kay wrote (if the tone and content of what they wrote is any indication) actually were attacking strawmen of their own making and talking right past Kay.

Talk of the benefits of breastfeeding, the evils of bottlefeeding, or grandstanding comments about being a teacher and a mother - well, none of that was germane to what Kay had actually written about. Those were all tangental to what Kay had posted (which essentially boiled down to her saying that she foudn this toy creepy and that she thought it was not age-appropriate - which is a debatable point that can be argued, but most of the discussion was on other matters altogether).

I understand that this is an emotionally charged subject, and that people react strongly to it. I agree that out culture needs to have a healthier attitude towards all things related to reproduction and the raising of children. However, we're not going to get that by exploding at people who actually agree and are reacting to something else.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.