STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy! If you are looking for Kaylia's official Website please visit KayliaMetcalfeWriter



Suffering for my art.

So, a few months ago I received an email from an intern at a “full-service media and public relations agency focusing on bridging the gap between faith and culture.”

Wait, it gets better.

See, I have been trying to create a portfolio of sorts of reviewed books (over here on this blog) and I had reviewed a few titles produced by a Christian publishing house. My reviews were (I think) fair but certainly not glowing. In fact, there was a fair bit of mockery going on because the books I had reviewed for them (The Great Eight The Noticer Higher Hope) had all been written,…well.. poorly. So I wasn’t surprised that I had made it onto the radar of this gap bridging agency… but I was surprised as why they were writing to me.

They said in the letter that they were contacting me because they had “been referred to [my] blog as a popular internet opinion site” Popular? Well… umm okay. Not really but I am trying to remedy that, so… so far so … good?

What was it they wanted? They wanted to send me a (free) copy of a book called “Surrender All” written by Joni Lamb who, they hastened to inform me, is co-founder and vice president of Daystar Television Network, the fastest growing Christian network in the world. They were asking me to read it and write “a 300-word, honest review.”

Hmmm,

Reading on: In her début book (which came out in 2008) “she shares the message of discovering the amazing journey God intended and fashioned for each of us. Through simply offering control to the One who created us, we can learn the peace that comes through trusting God.”

The tag line for the book, by the way, is “The Path of Surrender Always Leads To Contentment”

Of course I did what any self respecting author/blogger/person in the year 2009 would do. I forwarded the email request to about a dozen people with a healthy dose of “Lol”s.

And then I wrote back telling the intern that I am always interested in more reviewing work as I would someday really like to do it in a more full time capacity. I also mentioned that my readers might not be the desired demographic, but if they wanted to send me a copy of the book, I would indeed provide a 300 word honest review.

I heard nothing for months… I figured that they had actually bothered to read my blog (or even my reviews of the other Christian books) and had decided to pretend they didn’t know me.

And then yesterday it arrived.




That... is a whole lot of hair going on there.

Not to be snarky off the bat, but holy mother of pasta induced hunger pains… that is a freaky ass photo to use when touting the idea of surrender.

Or maybe that’s just me.

I flipped through the book… it has chapter titles like “Surrender your kids” and "Surrender your health,” and I started to get a faintly nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I won’t have time to start it this week, (lets be honest, I don’t want to be seen reading this book on the train) and so I won’t be able to do the review for a bit.

But coming soon to a blog near you… my 300 word honest review…

Stay Tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bwahahaha...now that's funny Kaylia. I will be interested to hear your comments since I'm a Christian kinda guy. And don't worry about offending me doll. Much of what religious Christians say makes me a bit ill myself:-)

Jon

Jeff said...

Wow. Am I wrong in passing judgement on the book based on the shitty Glamour Shots photo on the front cover???

Real Live Lesbian said...

People should be really careful when asking for HONEST reviews! ;)

I guess any publicity is good publicity.

Isn't that The Rachel haircut? And wasn't it out of style 10 years ago?