STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Racist Yahoo, Wedded Bliss

I know that I have mocked Yahoo news in the past… because, well, it is so easy to do so.

But today’s bit of “Yahoo is on crack” comes to us not from the news or the main page… but from the racist Yahoo Games division.

Yes, occasionally I play Yahoo games on my way home from work… I like the puzzle games and I am not ashamed.

Today I randomly clicked on the “Wedding Planner" game because, well, I was bored and slightly curious.



Wow, first off… way to go on the graphics yes? Yikes... These two look horribly freaked out. Maybe because when they decided to take the plunge they had no idea they were going to go spinning uncontrollably through the sky on what looks vaguely like a hang glide accident waiting to happen.

The game is simple bordering on the inane. You pick a couple with a budget and then you “shop” for items essential to the wedding (groom hair, flower arch, honeymoon car, etc” and in the end if you spent less than the budget… you win!



Lame right?

Ok, sure… but no one is pretending that Yahoo is the destination for the highly intellectual thrill seeker.

But racist? Yeah… I knew that would catch your interest.

The couples are



Well, cool, look, we have an interracial couple… so far so good.

But then you look closer.

The couple with the biggest budget:



Business people, white, good upstanding citizens. Fine

The middle class couple:



Cute, white, again.. nothing all that special.

And then:

The interracial couple:



Notice the name of Mr. Bing (Bling?)… notice the word “Gheto”… notice the idea that they have been together for 10 years but only now are going to tie the knot…

Racist?

Maybe… or maybe just really rally bad idea.

What do you think?

I would also like to point out that spending 2500 bucks on a wedding is kind of insane… even though I know of people who have spent substantially more. Heck, even 1000 bucks seems excessive to me.

In the spirit of weddings though, The Maifan-San and I get to see our friend N and A this weekend… N and A got married, one year ago this weekend, in a small ceremony on a boat in Lake Tahoe.

It was simple, it was fun, it was low key.

I don’t know how they would feel about photos, so I won't post any of them here.
But here is one of my favorite photos of The Maifan-San and I ever. It was taken at the buffet reception…



See that sunburn.. yikes!

Anyway, Happy anniversary to N and A… and to Big T and Bug… oh and my editor and her dashing fellow… and even Leah and Joe! Wow… June is quite the month for marital bliss eh?

8 comments:

Dave Haaz-Baroque said...

"I would also like to point out that spending 2500 bucks on a wedding is kind of insane…"

Is it? I was always under the impression that the average wedding tended to cost something ridiculous like ten grand.

Kay said...

I think it depends... for me, spending that much money would be a waste.

If I ever get married (again) it will be cheap cheap cheap... there are so many more fun things to do with money.

Jay said...

All weddings should take place in Vegas because marriage is a crap shoot anyway.

Kay said...

Jay: True... so Vegas is ok... or Voodoo Donut. How cool would it be to get married at the Voodoo Donut? That's just rad!

rystefn said...

$2500? I spent ten grand on mine.

...of course, I'm a crazy person, totally incapable of doing anything halfway.

koe whitton-williams said...

Kay - I love the idea of getting married at voodoo donut. I think our wedding cost $10,000 and that was 26 years ago. If we had only invested that money in General Motors stock instead. . . think of what we'd have today.

Actually I am making that up. I have no idea what a wedding costs. I have no idea what a voodoo donut costs. I do know I like to read PWLS.

I hope the book rewrites are going well. Let me know if you need an adverb. I have a new one cooking on the stove.

kww

Unknown Mami said...

I do think things like this are racist. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that notices. It's nice to know I'm not.

bettyl said...

You would think a company as big as Yahoo would know better!

btw, I got married in a boat, too. Off the coast of New Plymouth, New Zealand!