STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)


Also, don't forget to visit Kaylia's Official Website where you can get information about Kaylia's upcoming events, and learn more about her free lance writing and other publications.

Life Lesson At The Movies

Last night I went to see a movie all by myself.

It was my first adventure of this sort… obviously I have seen many movies and I have seen many movies by myself but normally I am alone in my living room eating microwave popcorn or ice cream (sometimes together… yum!) with my feet on the coffee table and no shame at all in yelling encouragement at the screen. I tend to be quieter when watching movies with another person… I learned my lesson when an ex boyfriend threatened to gag me during a movie once, and not in the fun kinky way… he was brandishing a pair of socks and had a deranged glint in his eye.

Wow, off topic. Blame the mocha.

Anyway, I have never gone to see a movie at the theater by myself before…. Not for any reason of oddity or fear but simply because I really really like talking about the movies I have seen after the fact. I like the idea of shared context, the ability to reference the plot or the dialoged, the availability of inside jokes and shared memories. You get that when you watch a movie with someone… you don’t get that when you watch alone. Plus spending 10 bucks on something seems like something to you should be sharing. Because I am cheap and unless it is shoes or clothes, I tend to not want to spend money on myself. (this even goes for food… I am much more likely to skip meals or eat crackers when alone and only shop when I know I will be sharing the meal with someone else.) Again, I guess I am cheap… maybe slightly deranged in my own way. Whatever.

So why the change in routine? What was the amazing movie that made me change my spots and venture to a theater I had never been to before in order to join the ranks of people who go see movies alone?

My Sister’s Keeper.

Which, wasn’t that good of a movie and really was something I would normally mock softly and then ignore…. This is the sort of movie that may get added to the Netflix queue, but it would be way down there at the bottom next to all those other movies I will probably never actually watch.

But see I had read the book and written a review on it and I wanted to see how it compared and write a review of the movie. And I sort of wanted to do that when the movie was new and not six months down the road. It opened yesterday, so off I went.

The review will be in two parts I think… review of the movie as it stands alone and then a review regarding the changes etc… and that should go up later today or tomorrow depending on how quickly I get through the revision work I need to be doing for my “Links” book. Yeah, I’m not procrastinating on that at all, not at all.

But first I must say that going to see a movie by oneself was, at least for me, a combination of ‘hey look at me all independent and free” and “damn this would be easier if I wasn’t alone.”

Here’s why:

I got lost getting to the theater and had no one to blame. (Except Google maps which apparently hates Santa Cruz and kept trying to tell me to head into the ocean either because it has a sadistic sense of humor or because it hates me…. Maybe both.)

I couldn’t find the box office. Not totally my fault since the entrance for the lobby is where all the signs are pointing to and the box office is slightly hidden… but still, I felt pretty dumb walking in and having to ask.

I couldn’t find the stadium. My ticket stub said “Stadium 1” and to my chagrin there were only 2 stadiums… but they weren’t labeled in a manner that someone who isn’t legally allowed to drive can make out without walking right up to the stupid sign, squinting, and staring for a full five seconds. I had a 50/50 shot at getting it right… but I got it wrong and this brings me to the next point…

The stupid stupid staff who took obvious delight in asking me if I was all right, if I needed any help, if I was okay, if I was there alone…. All in the sing song voice you usually reserve for a six year old who has wondered into the maternity section of Macy’s and is blinking in obvious confusion at the nursing bras.

Since I had counted on getting lost, I was freakishly early and thus got to stand in front of the doors all by myself for what felt like forever listening to the vapid discourse of the four tweeners who were right behind me. Sadly I had no one with whom to share a look of mild amusement bordering on chagrin and had to consol myself with trying bravely to balance my ….

HUGE “medium” popcorn and HUGE ‘medium” soda. Whoever decided that “medium” now means “able to feed a small army” or ravenous 14 year old boy needs a lesson in size. (I bet it was a guy.) These things were bad enough to consider ingesting… but the whole having to carry them (along with my purse of course) through an incredibly dark room and try to find a seat without spilling or killing myself… well that would have been funny except that I was pretty darn sure I was in fact going to fall and seriously do damage to something vital, like my pride. I think it was my fear of the staff having to come scrape me off the floor that kept me on my feet and steady while getting down the totally unlit stairs and into a seat.

After all that, well, the movie was a breeze.

My point? As with sex, hiking, and really a whole lot of things in life, sure you can do it alone… in fact sometimes you want to, but the experience is much easier, safer, and can be a lot more fun if shared with another person.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree-going by yourself to something is really different than with other people. Now if I could only include other places besides the public female bathroom, I'd be okay, hahaha!

Anonymous said...

it was me- Jennifer Goldberg Allen that left that comment :)

Anndi said...

I learned that lesson too. I still do it sometimes, but I bring a miner's hat now so I can see in the dark... to the movies, I mean... Although.....

WoodEngineer said...

hahahaha well written :-D

rystefn said...

...in the sing song voice you usually reserve for a six year old.

Why do people do this? It never made a lick of sense to me.When I talk to children, I do so in my normal pitch and timbre. It's not children have problems hearing things pitched lower or something. I've certainly never had a kid fail to understand or respond to something I said in a normal tone of voice... Sorry, I know it's not really relevant to the topic at hand, but it's confused the Hell out of me since I first encountered it.