STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Sin: Wrath


Welcome to week 2 of my mini-meme

Kay's Seven Deadly Sins Meme



(still not an artist)



Last week we did Lust; this time around we go a bit more serious with Wrath.

Before we get to my entry for Wrath, please note:

You have all week to post something on your blog about, pertaining to, inspired by, whatever Wrath. Once you have your blog post up, come back here and enter your name in Mr. Linky so that everyone can go forth and visit. Then leave me a comment and go forth and visit your fellow bloggers.

A big Thank You to all the participants last week! You each got a Sin Point! (Points will be magically transformed into entries into the Sin Drawing at the end of the meme… and yes there will be prizes!)


And now: Wrath.


What exactly is Wrath? It is deep primal anger, a bitter torrent of pissy-ness that cannot be quenched. Wrath is brutal, it is violent, it is uncontrollable, it is big and scary and horrible. It is strong and vengeful and seething and resentful… it is all the worst bits of being carried away by an emotion.

It is hard to think about.

Wait a sec… I can’t write about “Wrath’ while Yael Naim sings “New Soul”… let me go put on some Metallica…. Ok, there we go, all better.

Except that now I want to go work out… so, I will write this in silence.

Have you ever felt wrath? Real wrath?

I don’t think I have. I am familiar with the vexed annoyance that comes when someone is unkind or almost hits me with their car… I am an old hand at the embarrassment resentment of forgetting my wallet and getting a ticket…. Heck I even know the smoldering grumpiness of stubbing my toe on that mysterious sharp thing under the bed or finding dog poop on the carpet…

But those things aren’t wrath and usually the emotions they cause flare up and then dissipate rather quickly.

Ok, but there are other things that make us mad right? Things like ignorance, arrogance, intentional rudeness… (A trinity of “quick ways to incur my anger” let me assure you.)

But still not wrath.

Then there are the things that make my blood boil: rape, domestic violence, genocide, denial of civil rights, misuse of power,,….and when faced with these things in the abstract we stew and rant and sometimes are so upset that we take action by marching, giving money, volunteering, etc.

Is that wrath?

I actually think that wrath is hard to imagine because it isn’t like anger that can smolder for years or bitterness that can live sullenly in the back of your mind… wrath is an all encompassing emotion that cannot be controlled.

When it shows its face it demands attention, it must be dealt with or channeled Right Now.

It is a scary emotion and I am glad that I have not actually had to deal with it.

Day to day most of us don’t deal with wrath (thankfully) but we do deal with anger. Big anger, little anger, and every size in between. Getting angry is human… there are a lot of things out there just waiting to rub us the wrong way. The key is what we do with our anger.

I tend to vent. Pity my friends and family, go on, they could use it. I know venting isn’t the best use of breath (or blog) but it works for me… it helps me get rid of the ugliness of being upset so that I don’t have to carry it around anymore.

We all deal with anger (or really any emotion) our own way… and as long as we are dealing with it constructively and not hurting anyone, well I say Bravo!

Now, I am sure you were expecting a fairly lighthearted post… maybe a delightful story about that one time I was so upset that I ===insert amusing anecdote here=== but instead you got me waxing slightly poetic about what wrath means to me.

The truth is, there are a lot of “dark” things that I don’t mind thinking about, dealing with, dwelling upon…. But the idea of Wrath just freaks me ut so completely that I can hardly bring myself to think about it.

Because I have seen people’s faces twisted by wrath. I have seen the tangable evidence of an intangible emotion…. I have watched someone become so completely enraged that they weren’t human anymore…just an animal lashing out.

Wrath is pure evil


And every now and then I still have nightmares.

/shudder



I will leave you with a partial list of “good” Wraths.


One of the reasons I want to be a writer:
The Grapes of Wrath




One of the reasons I quit playing WoW:
The Wrath of the Lich King




One of those movies I have only seen once and I just don’t “get”
The Wrath of Khan (Star Trek)





And I know by saying all those things I am setting myself up for a bit of “wrath-filled” emails….


Ok y'all.... your turn!





Want to play? Read This and then jump on in!

10 comments:

Rystefn said...

Posted mine. Not so fun as my last, though.

http://rystefn.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/sin-of-the-week-wrath/

Jay said...

I'm going to have to think about this one. Not sure if I've ever experienced anyone actual wrath. And I've certainly never taken out my anger on anyone in that way. Not sweet little ole me. ;-)

Mojo said...

Oh I'm so not the wrathful type. But you didn't say it had to be me doing the sinning. I mean am I gonna provide photographic evidence of my own transgressions? I don't think so.

I'd much rather pick on someone else.

Like these guys:
Kay's Seven Deadly Challenges #2: "Wrath"

Jeff B said...

How many times have we heard about the seven deadly sins and when wrath is mentioned, we tend to think of it in terms of anger? I think you hit this one on the head.
Well done.

Anthroslug said...

I have posted mine as well, at http://anthroslug.blogspot.com/2009/03/wrath-and-aftermath.html. It's about wrath within a family, and was difficult to write.

Pagan Sphinx said...

I'm up...with a vengeance! ;-)

http://thepagansphinx.blogspot.com/2009/03/wrath-hera.html

maryt/theteach said...

I'm up, Kaylia! Took me some time to find what I wanted to do... :)

Charity Childs-Gevero said...

I'm so sorry i'm not playing your meme! (I love saying that, it sounds so cute 'n' funny-like...meme...hee hee!) It's just something my ADD brain can't deal with...following in something that so many other people are following in...makes me feel suffocated...hee hee hee! More power to your meme, though! :) :)

kisses!

hey! p.s.! Your stories aren't showing accordingly, in my blog roll! On my blog roll, your last post was two weeks ago! That's what it says!!?? You might want to check and ping your feed!

Charity Childs-Gevero said...

Ok so I think your blog roll is doing the same thing...I have new posts and still I haven't updated on your roll...it still says my latest post is the one I posted last night...but your blog on my roll is way worse! It says your latest post is 2 weeks ago! What's wrong with all the blog rolls?

JayRod said...

You have to watch the original Star Trek series and then the 1st movie (which was very boring) to truly appreciate Wrath of Khan.