STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy! If you are looking for Kaylia's official Website please visit KayliaMetcalfeWriter



“What’s up?”

So as some of you know, I have been looking for work.

Because even though I have a job (one that I vacillate between being supremely grateful for and being moderately annoyed with), I only have a job for two more months. That’s right. Welcome to the life of an English Degree Graduate who never ever ever wanted to teach.

I have been floating about in the corporate world of Administrative Assisting for a few years now… and for the most part I actually really really love it. I like feeling that I am helping someone do something, even if it is helping an overworked co-worker by organizing her desk or making the Active Files all neat and pretty. I love being organized and using office tools like paper clips and the letter opener. I like interacting with people, setting schedules, ordering supplies, handling email correspondence…. In other words, I like Admin work.

But.

For the last two years I have worked at a company here in the Silicon Valley as a contract employee. (Translation: “We don’t want to use the word ‘Temp’ but… yeah”) Two years. At a job that was only originally supposed to last 3 to 6 months. There has been talk of making me Permanent and thus allowing me the joy of affordable medical insurance, accruement of sick and vacation days, and a sense of modest stability. Instead they just keep extending me a few months out… and then a few more… and then a few more…

Being in this almost constant sense of flux is unsettling. Why, you may ask, don’t I just go out and get myself another job?

In case you live under a rock (and happen to have a decent internet connection and the desire to read my blog instead of moving said rock so that you wouldn’t have to continue to bear the shame of living under it) you know that our US economy is going loudly into a tailspin of nauseatingly hyper proportions. You might even know that CA (my happy home state) is teetering on the brink of FUBAR.

Thus finding a job, any job but especially a decently paying full time sort of job, has proved rather difficult.

So… back to the two months left thing. And the fun thing is that in my happy home state of CA they don’t let us Contract (translation: Temp) Employees wallow at Non-Perm status for longer than 2 years. At least that is what I have been told. After two years you should be let go or actually instated as a “real” employee.

Read again the paragraph that talks about the current economic state of the country and my state.

See why I’m worried?

And as if that weren’t enough of a headache to warrant laying on one’s back and glaring at the ceiling for long moments of non-productive time, add in this next part.

My lease is up in 3 months. I get to move! I get to move to…..?

My endlessly patient roommate is doing well for herself and is looking forward to having her own place… somewhere far from the Kay-Needed public transportation lines of the Silicon Valley . She is going to the “sounds nicer than it is” Sunnyvale and I am actually very happy for her.

But again, a bit worried about me.

Moving wouldn’t be that big of a deal, if I knew what the situation was going to be with the job; i.e. knowing how much I could afford to pay in rent. But I, don’t know what is going to happen with the job because despite my best efforts and my trolling every single Job Site and Board and Resource I can get my eyeballs on, I am having nothing in the way of luck at even getting an interview… or a call back.. or an anything.

I have a college degree in something that, while fun to say at parties, is pretty darn useless. I have experience in a field that is shrinking. I have two months of gainful employment and three months of an apartment I can already juuuuust barely afford.

And I have three short stories that need to be finished, a new CD of indi rock, and a Tupperware container of leftover pasta from last weekend.

So right now, I am ok.

But that sheer panic and extreme hyperventilating sob-like noise that you might hear from Milpitas in say three or four weeks? Yeah, that will be me too.

3 comments:

Cavan said...

Agh, I know all about the English degree syndrome. I spent a year after graduation doing terrible data entry work before falling ass-backwards into a job I absolutely love.

And, as far as I can tell, that seems to be the way it happens for most people. I'm sure something good's just beyond the horizon!

Pia K said...

Oh I can relate to this. Big time. I have a law degree and I haven't been able to find a new job for... way too long than I care to think of, if I did I would probably go mad (or madder than I already am). Who said getting a university degree would be good for you... Life is just plain weird. No matter what side of the pond you're living in/on it seems. Such a waste on many levels. Bla, bla, bla, no more ranting, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, a lot of great things can happen in no time at all!!

Pagan Sphinx said...

I don't want to come across as overly negative, or anything...BUT...I'm worried about my soon-to-graduate with a BA in Politics daughter who will be looking for a full time job in CA in late summer. Not that you said anything that reminded me of that or anything, Kay! ;-) And she's younger and with less experience than you. Very troublesome time to be unemployed.

You are bright, articulate and I'm sure very personable, too. You will at least never be at the bottom of the heap. I so hope your stories work out well for you. Your posts are a delight to read.

All the love, Kay
Gina