STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

All Answers Have Questions (part one)

The world is full of questions. Recently I was invited to take part in yet another survey/study regarding bloggers. (Some of you might remember when I was interviewed before by Dr. Jesse Daniels (PhD) regarding “feminist bloggers”) This new study has to do with personality and blogging and I am finding the questions interesting and slightly “duh.”

Bloggers…. We are by definition a self selecting group of people who decide with specific intent to put some (or most, or all) aspects of our lives out in a public forum. Granted, there are news bloggers and TV Recap bloggers, and food bloggers, but this study is dealing more with the “personal” bloggers.

I write a personal blog. I might comment about politics, food, TV shows (not recently but still) and any number of things but this blog is primarily a personal blog full of my personal thoughts and feelings and rants about the world around me.

And for some reason y’all swing by here and read it. And that it just pretty darn cool.

Anyway, I just thought it was slightly ironic to be part of this study when, as mentioned last week, I am happily taking part in an interview meme from Mary The Teach (authoress of the wonderful Work of the Poet where Ruby Tuesday was born).

Also, I have opened up the floor for any questions that you, my gentle constant readers, might have. Or rather, I am going to finally get around to answering a handful of the questions that some of you have sent me over the past few months.

Today’s post is Part One of Getting To Know Kay: Questions from Mary.




Getting To Know Kay:
Part One
Questions From Mary.

1. How did it come about that you went to Japan recently?
I have been blessed with an amazing boyfriend who rather enjoys my company. He, along with some other friends, had been talking about going on a trip in part to simply go and in part to meet up with another friend who currently lives and works in Korea. It ended up being an early January trip to Tokyo. I was fortunate enough to be able to tag along and I had a wonderful time. (Photos are up on my Flickr page, check out the box to the right.)


2. What was the best thing that happened to you in Japan? And the strangest?
The best thing would have to be getting to travel again with The Maifan-San. Portland was great, our occasional day drips are always great… but Tokyo was fabulous. We got to walk, to talk, to see new and exciting things… and even though that all would have been great with other friends/family members, the fact that I was sharing it with him was amazing.
The strangest would be the overall “alien yet familiar” aspect of everything. It was a city, a big city, but still a city. Granted, not many cities are this big, this diverse, or have an Imperial Palace surrounded by a moat in the middle… but still. There were people everywhere but they were all going about their daily lives. The people on the trains for the most part seemed to be regular students and business people who were just living their lives. There were restaurants and coffee shops and homeless people… and then again there were places called “Snobbery” “Nudy Boy” and “The Ooze Charm Bar”.



3. Do you have brothers or sisters? Tell us something special about your family.
I am blessed with two sisters. Gina who is a senior in high school and will depart for Humboldt State in the fall and Kristen who is a sophomore at Berkeley . These two women are hugely important to me. I can’t tell you how many times I have used them as my inspiration and motivation. It has been such a blessing to watch them grow from squalling infants to the gorgeous and intelligent women that they are now. Both of them have very distinct personalities and I cherish any and all time I get to spend with them.
Something special about my family is choice. My parents both chose to be my parents… in some dramatic and also more conventional ways. I wasn’t the easiest teen/young woman to deal with (shocker right?) but they have consistently shown that they love me, support me, and value me as a person. There have been times when I wouldn’t have blamed them had they washed their hands and bid me adieu, however they continue to keep choosing to be not just my parents but also my cheering squad and my friends.



4. Tell us about the person you met who is the inspiration for your next short story.
He was just some random guy bumming change from people near the pharmacy. For the rest, I will have to refer you to the book once it is finished :P


5. I understand you want to become a writer. Have you studied writing? What made you want to become a writer?
I have studied writing, taking part in many workshops and also getting a BA in English (creative writing emphasis).
And more importantly I read a lot and I write a lot and I constantly try to write better.
I don’t really know where it came from… I have always loved reading, in escaping to another world. Making up my own stories came from there… and in some ways I feel writing chose me rather than the other way around. I get ideas and if they don’t get written out my head feels like it will explode. Writing is a passion, a hobby, a de-stresser, and just plain fun. Someday I hope to write “something worth reading” and I think it would be marvelous to get paid to write or to get paid for my writing but even if that never happens, I will always write because I love it.




Thanks Mary!
(There is still time to send in your questions for Part Two: Questions from Readers either in the comments or via an email to kaylia_marie@yahoo.com)

4 comments:

Prefers Her Fantasy Life said...

Homeless people in Japan? That indeed is a change from when I lived there.

Jay said...

Great interview.

I don't know what I would do if I went to a city like Tokyo. I would probably be lost the entire time I was there.

Robin said...

The Ooze Charm Bar? Sounds like it should be full of lounge singers in leisure suits with bad hair LOL.

I think I did the same online survey :).

M. L. Kiner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html