STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Public Transportation is fun.

Remember this commercial?




How about this one?




Notice a theme?

Sometimes shoving food in either your mouth or someone else’s mouth is a good way to avoid saying the wrong thing.

I have been known, to say the wrong thing. Or, the wrong things. Or too many things altogether.

Some of my friends call this “lack of tact” others call it “one of those things we put up with” and still others run from the room screaming “Too Much Information!”

The thing is, it isn’t always my fault. When people ask me questions I tend to answer them. Sometimes ironically and full of intent to shock… but sometimes my brain doesn’t have time to come up with something witty and I blurt out the truth.

Sometimes there is no filter at all.

I don’t always have a candy bar or a granola bar on hand with which to shut myself up or even to provide a much needed moment for my brain to catch up and filter my mouth… so I have been trying to rely on the old “answer a question with a question” approach for dealing with inappropriate questions… or questions that I don’t want to answer.

“Why do you ask?” Is my favorite… because it is so versatile.

“How old are you?”
“Why do you ask?”

“Do you ride this train a lot?”
“Why do you ask?”

“Do you have a boyfriend?”
“Why do you ask?”

“What’s your five year plan?”
“Why do you ask?”

“Are you right with God?”
“Why do you ask?”

“Hey, I like the way you fill out that dress”
“….”

Of course there are situations where the better response is “Leave Me Alone”

4 comments:

Mojo said...

Hmm... I don't know about a dress, but you do nice things for those jeans! ;)

Just sayin'

Anthroslug said...

A versatile comment, rather than question, that can stop unwanted questions is "that's a strange thing to ask."

Kay said...

@Mojo: Thanks, I am a big fan of jeans.

@Anthroslug: Good idea… “What an odd question” might work as well. Depending n the situation.

bettyl said...

Then there is always the 'turn the same question back to the asker' strategy--"How old are YOU?"