STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Lest We Don't Protest





“One two three four, we won’t take it anymore!”

“You gotta Fight, for your Right, to stuuuudy!”

“Gay Straight, Black White, Same Issues Same Fight!”


Over the years, I have attended many rallies, protests, sit ins, demonstrations, and instances of activist civil disobedience. I have been interviewed and photographed by the press (radio, television, and newspapers). I have been yelled at by the public and by cops. I have had things thrown at me, been insulted, and been spit on.

And without fail, someone always comes up to me either during the activity or in the next week and asks me why I bother. What’s the point?



Which are two very different things.

Why I bother: I protest, attend rallies, and willingly join in a community of like minded upset individuals because I think it is important to do so. Because it can be fun. Because it can be comforting to see others who feel the same way.

Because sometimes it works.

And that gets into the point… and in many cases, that IS the point. For most of the rallies and protests I take part in, the point is a combination of heightened awareness and call to action. Sometimes there is a bit of education and team building.

It is one of the ways that we can come together and say “you are not alone!”



On Saturday The Man and I, along with a few hundred others, gathered at City Hall in Santa Cruz. This gathering was what all rallies strive to be… optimistic, educational, community based, loud, and meaningful.



There was a series of speeches from community leaders reminding us that the fight isn’t over, telling us of precedent, showing us hope. Later, there was a group march to the clock tower with people singing, chanting, and waving at the passing cars that almost all honked in solidarity.

Of course there were a few “YES” on 8 people there… one man in particular who not only hid his face behind a mask but also raised his sign and hid when I tried to snap his picture. One has to wonder.. was he afraid of bad treatment at the hands of the people who’s rights he had mocked with his vote? Perhaps he was ashamed.



A few other highlights:

“Remember” we were told, “There are Christians on our side as well… there are people of faith that believe in equal rights.”

Cheers from the crowd.

“Remember,” we were told, “There are straight people on our side… this is not a gay only fight. Thank you to our straight friends!”

Cheers from the crowd.

“Remember,” they told us, “The judges who started this whole thing need our support. They might be Republican, but we can look past party lines and affiliations… they supported us, we must support them!”

Cheers from the crowd

“Remember,” they told us, “There are two precedents where the voters of CA voted to take away rights and both times it was overturned.”

Cheers from the crowd.

“Remember,” they told us, “You are angry, you are hurt… but let us not loose sight of our community and our goal. Don’t embrace anger and let it fester into bitterness… use your anger as a catalyst for change. Civil rights take time… but have faith on yourselves, have faith in your community, have faith in your fellow Californians… Can we attain equality?”

“Yes We Can.”

4 comments:

Anndi said...

I'd stand with you any day.

You rock, little sister.

Jay said...

I've never actually attended any protest before, but if there had been one around here I might have gone. I think the protests were great!

Mojo said...

You're okay kiddo... even if you are a Sharks fan. (Did I say that out loud?)

Hey, the day a Sharks fan and a Canes fan can stand together for a common goal... that's gotta be a good day, right?

Kay said...

Anndi: Glad to have you with me : )

Jay: They can be a little odd… with the chanting, but on the whole they can be really worth it.

Mojo: Indeed. And I think maybe you would be a Sharks fan if you lived here, yes?