STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Something to think about.....

As many of you know, I take the train to work.

In fact, I take the Light Rail everywhere… grocery store, mall, coffee shop, pharmacy, downtown excitement… even Santa Cruz. Public Transportation is my mode of transportation.

For the most part, this is fine. Granted there are days (many in January) that I yearn for the comfort of a warm dry car…. And there are times when the length of time that it takes me to get from point A to point B is annoying…. But for the most part I am quite happy with the system here in San Jose.

In fact even the –ahem- variety of the folks one meets while riding the rails is, for the most part, more entertaining and good-story fodder than scary or overly unpleasant. (Although there are a few of those stories… but since my mother and my grandmother might read this I will save them each a bit of heart worry and move on….)

In picking a place to randomly go on vacation and maybe even randomly move to (because, why not?) the state of the public transportation is a major concern.

Enter Portland.

This city was supposedly built around the PT system… and besides being one of the greenest cities in the US it is supposed to one of the most “non driver” friendly as well.

Well, cool!

They have the MAX Light Rail, cable cars, busses that run frequently, and even a “free one” where the PT system is free in downtown. Awesome.

They also have people on bikes.

I mean.. a lot of people riding bikes.




Yes, I am single minded and really thought “non driver” equaled “walker/rider of busses” not “deranged bikers who weave in and out of pedestrian traffic with a speed and daredevil attitude that will put gray hairs on a slightly oblivious CA tourist” (me)

Don’t get me wrong, I think the idea of people riding bikes as primary transport is a pretty nifty idea. I think the idea of bike pulled rickshaw like carriage (pedi-cabs) is also pretty cool.

But wowzers these people take their biking to a whole new level.




If I ended up living in Portland … would I become a biking fiend? Doubtful.

See, your lovely Kay here is well known for being highly uncoordinated. I take being decidedly Ungraceful to a whole new level.

A very special level.

Which is why… while passing a sign like the one above I found it highly entertaining when the Man and I had what amounts to the following conversation:

The Man: Lots of bikes in Portland
Me: Yeah, I know. Crazy right?
The Man: Mmmhmm.
(a beat)
The Man: You know, you’ve said you know how to ride a bike…
Me: Well yeah, but staying on target and not randomly visiting the side of the road (face first) gives me a bit of trouble.
(a beat… I can almost hear the wheels in his head turning)
The Man: What if I steered?
Me: Huh? How would that work?
The Man: We could get a tandem bike.

Its amazing I didn’t die from laughter.

Me: Hmmm, interesting thought

And it is… because even though I am Queen Supreme of Falling Off things, Tripping On things, and Overall Landing On My Ass next to/beside/underneath things…. There is a teeny tiny part of me that wants to try it.

Plus, I can always blame him if we crash right?

1 comment:

JayRod said...

If you do this, you MUST get a 3rd party to take a picture of the two of you on the bike.