STICKY

PERHAPS WE LEARNED SOMETHING.....
…Perhaps we were only mildly entertained. Regardless, please enjoy these Reviews, Responses, Works of Fiction, and Retellings brought to you by one who hopes to someday join the ranks of those who have written something worth reading.
(Kaylia Metcalfe)

Showing.... My Door!

(I am just awesome with the witty titles aren’t I?)



Our door is green and generic. It likes to slam shut and threaten to break our keys. There is a knocker that as of yet no one has actually used and a gap where the weather stripping has ceased to be. For the first few nights we lived here, we were serenaded by screaming banshee style winds. They fixed it but there is still a bit of a gap.



I rarely hear it when people knock on the door which is inconvenient since I am usually upstairs in my room and most of our visitors are mine. “KAY!!!!! DOOR!!!!” Jessica yells up the stairs and I come running.



The best part about our door is the three locks… regular, deadbolt, and sliding bolt. This adds a bit of warm fuzzy safe feelings to my overall “lock up” at night routine. Although one morning the sliding bolt decided to test my “get to work on time” resolve by refusing to unslide.



I pulled on it, nothing. I tried again… nothing. I put down my purse, grabed the thing with both hands and pulled… nothing.



My morning routine is very strict. It takes me 7 minutes to get ready…. 10 if I change my mind about what I am wearing. It takes me 12 minutes to walk to the light rail station. I arrive at the station exactly two minutes before the train pulls in. Any random delay in the process can make me miss my train resulting in a frantic phone call to work explaining why I will be 15 minutes late. I really didn’t want to have to tell my boss that I had somehow managed to lock myself IN my apartment.



I tried again, no luck.




Trying not to panic, I contemplated waking Jessica up. But, I love my roommate and want her to keep loving me so I decided to try reverse psychology on the damn thing first. I pushed it all the way back into locking and then sloooooowly pulled it back… and thank the scientific method, it opened!



I managed to trot on down to the LR station in time to breathlessly catch my train in the nick of time.



But I am always a bit wary of the door now… I have seen that it has the potential for mischievous behavior, and I am on guard.







(post inspired by the Show Me Photo Project over at Thoughts From A Fathe)

11 comments:

Carletta said...

Another good post!
I love the closeup shot of the locks.

June said...

Better practice with those locks just in case of an emergency...by the way, love the saying you have under your bio photo!

Anndi said...

Is that penguins I spotted on the welcome mat?

Nothing ever works when we use the harsh method... except the crisper drawer in my fridge. It only responds to shoves.

You've got me thinking that maybe I need a nighttime routine...

:: Lesley :: said...

I have the same locks on my door... :) I have yet to get locked IN though... how frustrating!

Bazza said...

That looks like a safe door, it also looks as exciting as mine!

Bazza said...

It looks like a very safe door and almost as exciting as mine!

Mojo said...

Doors. Meh. Mischievous little beggars sometimes. The side door on my garage will only lock or unlock with the key if you push in on it while turning the key. No one else seems to have figured this trick out yet so they all use the overhead door for ingress/egress. Maybe I should let them in on the secret...

Kay said...

June, your note about practice makes sense… What if getting out of the door had been due to an emergency like a fire? -shudder- don’t even want to think about it.

Yes Anndi, those are penguins…. My roomie Jessica puts the “cute” in “cutesy” for which I love her.

Doors are like anything I guess… sometimes they have to be reasoned with.

Robert said...

I asked for the stories behind the pictures and you sure delivered. This was great. I'm glad you made it to work on time...and with quite a story for your coworkers I'm sure. You turned something simple into a fun post. :)

dianne - bunny trails said...

It does feel a little silly to have to call in with odd excuses as an adult. I once had to call my son's school because we were blocked in our house by a huge stray dog!

Glad to hear your screaming banshees are gone. I hope you can still feel warm and fuzzy, not trapped and claustrophobic by your trio of locks!

JayRod said...

I have to used the knocker, and was reprimanded for doing so by both you and Jessica.